Which probiotic should I take?
There are so many fantastic options! Here's how we break it down:
Infant Probiotic: Our Infant Probiotic powder is recommended for anyone under the age of 2. However, because it's such a gentle formula, it's also ideal for sensitive individuals of all ages, or those taking probiotics for the first time. It's our least potent formula. The Infant Probiotic contains seven clinically-proven strains of beneficial bacteria naturally found in the digestive system of a healthy infant, and comprises 50% Bifidobacterium infantis. This strain is special because it dominates in breastfed babies' intestines, as it thrives on a unique molecule from breast milk. In scientific studies, B. infantis has been linked to healthy digestion, growth and immunity in infants.*
- Sensitive Probiotic: The Sensitive Probiotic powder is best for ages 3 and over, or children between the ages of 2 and 3 who have already used the infant formula. It contains one extra strain (L. plantarum) and is twice the potency of the Infant Probiotic. Smidge® Sensitive Probiotic is a powerful formula that does not require large doses. However, it's suited for sensitive individuals who may have reacted to certain strains of bacteria found in other probiotic formulas. Many of our customers with histamine intolerance, digestive issues, skin problems and other health conditions begin with our Sensitive Probiotic Powder. In all, it's for those who are serious about gut health: a clean, potent, therapeutic-grade probiotic with eight strains of beneficial bacteria that are essential for digestive health, and no additional ingredients. This product is also available in capsules.
Optimal Probiotic capsules: Smidge® Optimal Probiotic is a gentle, thoughtfully formulated probiotic that’s appropriate for various ages and stages, whether you’ve taken probiotics in the past or are new to this integral part of your wellness regimen:
- Men and women: Teens through the golden years,
- Mamas: Pregnant and nursing,
- Healthy kiddos: Ages 6 to 12.
- Yeastbiotic: Our Yeastbiotic capsules feature the friendly yeast Saccharomyces boulardii, which can gently crowd out pathogenic yeast.* S. boulardii is clinically proven to support people during antibiotic treatment, especially with candida, diarrhea and C. diff, as guided by a healthcare practitioner.* And you don't have to worry about it affecting your antibiotics. Most people use this one on a short-term basis.
Please keep in mind that the age to progress from one formula to another for every person varies. Since everyone is unique and responds differently to different formulas, it's important to consider the individual's health history, diet, metabolism, and recommendations by a practitioner — not just age. And our customer service team is here to answer your questions :)
Can you ship Smidge® Optimal Probiotic capsules in hot temperatures?
Yes! Smidge® Optimal Probiotic capsules (and all of our probiotics!) can be shipped when it's hot outside. Smidge® probiotics are freeze-dried, so they hold up well to warm temperatures.
What is the best time and way to take my Optimal Probiotic capsules?
Here's the fun part. We recommend taking your probiotic with a meal or directly before the meal (around the same time daily). It's beneficial if the meal also contains some natural, organic fat or oil.
Taking your probiotic with yummy food provides a buffering system for the supplement and ensures its safe passage through the digestive tract. Food also provides the friendly bacteria in your probiotic the proper nourishment to ensure its survival in your gut.
Our probiotics work best with an ancestral diet: unprocessed foods (meat, vegetables, fruits), healthy fats (olive oil, butter, lard, coconut oil, etc.) and no grains (i.e., no wheat, corn, rice, etc.).
Please avoid taking probiotics with certain foods that may diminish the potency:
- Avoid chlorinated water.
- Avoid hot soup and hot beverages (coffee, tea, etc.).
- Avoid highly processed foods (store-bought juice, sugar, wheat and soy products).
How many strains does this formula have?
Lots! Our Probiotic capsules contain 13 clinically-proven probiotic strains; 12 human strains and one plant strain (L. rhamnosus, L. casei, L. acidophilus, L. paracasei, L. brevis, L. gasseri, L. salivarius, B. bifidum, B. breve, B. infantis, B. longum, B. lactis and the plant strain, L. plantarum).
We use only the highest-quality probiotic bacteria: All strains have been thoroughly researched, documented and banked in recognized microbial culture collections. And all strains are non-GMO and American Type Culture Collection certified.
Is this Optimal Probiotic free of common allergens?
Absolutely. Our Optimal Probiotic capsules are free of common allergens. All strains are grown on a dairy-free, soy-free, vegetarian, non-GMO culture. The product does not contain milk/casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, wheat/gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, yeast, corn or soy.
Does this probiotic contain prebiotics?
Nope. Most commercial probiotics are up to 80% prebiotics. This is notable because adding prebiotics reduces the potency of a probiotic supplement and therefore, reduces the cost per bottle. More importantly, we intentionally keep prebiotics out of our probiotic formulas, as many of our customers have extremely sensitive digestive systems or are biohackers who only want purity.
A probiotic can work alone and does not require a prebiotic. Our pure probiotics can colonize without a prebiotic.
Plus, not all people taking a probiotic need a prebiotic. In fact, we recommend starting our probiotics without a prebiotic, before determining whether or not to add it to your protocol. We believe it's important to focus on diet and real food to support the colonization of good gut bacteria and starve off pathogens.
Here's some additional background regarding our philosophy on prebiotics: Most commercially available prebiotics are made from FOS/inulin. This starchy, sugary substance can feed pathogens like E. coli and many Clostridium species, which would be counterproductive to gut health and overall health. There's also a concern that some kinds of yeast are able to use inulin/FOS for fuel, thereby leading to overactive yeast production in the body.
Where are the ingredients in Smidge® Optimal Probiotic sourced and where is the supplement made?
The strains in our Optimal Probiotic capsules are sourced U.S., as is the production of the final product :)
What kind of diet should I eat while on Smidge® Optimal Probiotic capsules?
Our probiotics and supplements work best in conjunction with a wholesome, real food diet. Think healthy fats, wild-caught fish, grass-fed meat, organic vegetables, and the elimination of GMOs, additives, preservatives, chemicals and processed sugar/flour. So eat clean and eat up!
Can this probiotic formula withstand stomach acid?
Yes! Plus, like all of our probiotic formulas, it’s cGMP certified to ensure product stability and purity. The hardy strains in our Optimal Probiotic are resistant to low Ph conditions in the tummy, meaning they’re genetically characterized to pass through your gut safely and can withstand bile, so they can do their very important job.